Friday, January 23, 2009

Inauguration 2009

Unless you live under a rock, you must know that the inauguration of President Barack Obama happened this week, on Tuesday, January 20th. A record-breaking 1.8 million people turned out to witness this event at the nation's capitol. Millions of others from all over the world tuned in to watch him take oath and give his first address to the nation as President, including me!

President Obama has been very busy in his first few days of office, but let's take a moment to savor the his inauguration before we move onto business. I attempted to watch the ceremony from the Internet on the campus of Georgia State, but everyone else was doing the same. The picture would leave, the sound and image would freeze. Lucky for me, I have Tivo and that evening I watched again, after a long day. Earlier, I was emotional and feeling the rush of adrenaline, but later, I felt a sense of calmness and peace that I have not felt in quite some time. I wish I could say my experience was more exciting. I have friends who spent the day in D.C. Yes, I was jealous. No matter what, the day was exciting!

How did you spend the day? Where were you when you watched? And how did you feel? Share your memories of this historic day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched it with a friend, whose tv stopped working right before Aretha Franklin sang!! Luckily, we got it working again, just in time for Obama's swearing in. I am really excited about his election and the first few days of his presidency, but at that moment, I, too, was at complete peace. Something about seeing how calm he was -- even with all the work he has ahead of him -- must have calmed the entire nation (or at least you & me)!