Friday, December 19, 2008

Realizing the Promise, part 2

by Leslie Hudson


9 to 5 Atlanta Working Women (Leslie H, Vickie U, Ebony T and Anni M and Shyria C) arrived in Washington DC with the mission of putting Family-Work Place Policy in the building. After we reached our hotel and settled in the lobby the most remarkable thing happen, the room filled with fellow community organizers and we all connected and started sharing our stories. I heard stories about how our common grounds are important in making America better in our communities.

Next stop to lobbying training with the Center for Community Change and the Gamaliel Foundation. I heard wonderful words that brought me to tears and received good information about how to lobby.

The next morning I got footage of a sunrise peaceful protest against United Health Care, an immigration press conference and IL Rep. Gutierrez spoke and then we broke in our groups. Me and Anni headed to speak to our Georgia Representatives Jack Kingston (R), Sanford Bishop (D), and Nathan Deal (R).

My group had the opportunity to speak with an aide to Rep Nathan Deal and I shared my story about being forced to choose between my family and my job and expressed the importance of the need for Family-Work Place Policy because the families are the employees.

I must acknowledge the fact all these activities were accomplished before 1pm; more importantly over 200 community organizers participated.

Final stop, the Realizing the Promise Forum. The forum was like big thank you to all of us organizers for participating and taking back our government. It was filled with awesome speakers , roundtable discussions about a New America and ended with a rallying of our ideas, our missions and our agendas of change.

I left this event ready to return to Atlanta to get more work done, learn more about lobbying and I realize that I can really help to change the quality of life for millions of Americans.

No comments: